Tuesday 22 August 2017

How difficult is the PDVL Test?

So just how difficult is the PDVL Test?

Last week, I went to attend a whole day PDVL course last week at Singapore Taxi Academy. Today I went to take the PDVL Test! There are two papers to pass in order to obtain the PDVL. You need to score distinction in order to pass the test!

In order to pass the PDVL Test, you will need to pass 2 papers:
Paper 1 : 50 Questions (80% in order to pass) meaning you need to get 40 questions right!
Paper 2 : 50 Questions (86% in order to pass) meaning you need to get 43 questions right!

I didn't have time to study for the book and course materials given by the instructor. I was planning to study 6-8 hours the night before but i kept on driving and when i got home. I mingled with my children and tuck them to bed. (They are more important than the PDVL test!)

Afterwards, i felt too tired and changed my attack plan. I decided to sleep early but wake up much earlier to study and revise. I woke up at 6 am (usually 8:30am), took my breakfast and head out STA. I stopped my car in a parking lot beside the road of River Valley, just a right turn to reach STA. Wind down my windows and started reading. I then realized there was so much chapters and notes to go through! I was going through everything really fast and then repeat and repeat until 8:45 am. I started my car, make a right turn to The Herencia, parked and head towards level 4 to STA.

Corridor at Singapore Taxi Academy

Again, i was much earlier than most people. Duh! The test starts exactly at 9 am but if you are late, do not give up on coming as it seems that they have 15 minutes grace for the late comers! There is a big sized handsome young man watching over for my test, make sure your dress code is correct.

Dress code :
1) Collar T-Shirt/Shirt
2) Long Pants
3) Covered Shoes

Also, you need to SWITCH OFF your mobile phone, not silent mode! There is a box beside the tablet for you to put either your NRIC or Driving License for identification purpose and also your mobile phone inside. There are many tablets on the table and you will use the tablet to take your test. No more pen and papers!

You will need to key in your NRIC number and D.O.B on the tablet. Press login, check your particulars, click on "Paper 1 or 2", "Continue" and "Start Test" when the big sized young man says it is okay to start.

I heard from the instructor that there is 600 questions in the pool and the system will randomly pick out 50 questions for your test, so it is meaningless to peep at the person beside you.

During the test, you can choose a checkbox "Revisit Later" at the bottom of the screen for the questions you are unsure and proceed with other questions first. Afterwards, there is two box at the bottom of the screen for you to click . One is "Revisit Questions", another one is "Unanswered Questions".

After you are done with the questions you can answer, remember to check the two boxes below are clear in case you missed out any questions you did not answer! After you answered the questions that you have ticked for revisit, make sure you un-check the tick. Finally, when you are sure that you have all questions answered, just tap on "End Test" to submit the test and wait for your results.

Paper 1
Paper 1 test is on Service Quality, Health and Safety. The things you need to read is the photocopied notes given by the instruction:

a) Section 1.1 - Service Quality, Health and Safety.
b) Driving in Singapore from Mighty Minds (Yes the thick book!)

I completed the Paper 1 in about 30 minutes and passed the test surprisingly! Here are some questions i saw on my test. It may or may not show up for your test as the questions are randomly selected from the pool of 600 questions.

1) What are the 5 key factors of Quality Chauffeured Car Services?
2) Where to display the fares?
3) What is surge pricing?
4) What is the driver's age to drive PHV?
5) What is domestic terrorism?
6) Who are licensed professional chauffeurs?
7) Why does terrorism, racial and religious incident affect you?
8) What is a good driver?
9) Where to stand when assisting a disabled person?
10) What is the healthy level range for BMI?


Paper 2
My next test is Paper 2 which starts at 10 am. I finished paper 1 early than expect have 30 minutes left so i immediately took out the notes for Paper 2 and started reading and memorizing like crazy.

Oh boy, paper 2 is no joke. Paper 2 test is about Rules and Regulations. According to the instructor, the questions are also randomly selected from the pool of 600 questions. It is very important to read the photocopied notes given by the instructor :

a) Section 2.1 - Rules and Regulations (PSV)
b) Section 2.3 - Rules and Regulations (PHC)
c) Section 2.4 - Rules and Regulations (Chauffeured Private Hire Car and Taxi Vocational Licence Demerit Points System)

A lot of questions will come from c) Section 2.4 - Rules and Regulations (Chauffeured Private Hire Car and Taxi Vocational Licence Demerit Points System). The test will ask you questions regarding the penalties of the offenses

Easy ones for like this:
What is the penalties for soliciting for passengers?
1) Fine
2) Demerit Points
3) Fine + Demerit Points
4) Fine + Demerit Points + Suspension

Tough ones are like this :
What is the penalties for soliciting for passengers?
1) Fine $200
2) Fine $500 + 5 Demerit Points
3) Fine $200 + 5 Demerit Points
4) Fine $500 + 12 Demerit Points

I can tell you that there is no shortcuts for Paper 2. You really have to memorize hard and the questions are tricky as well so read properly before you answer. For example:

Tricky ones:
Which of the following is false when you need written permission of the Registrar to install equipment for your private hire car?
1) Smart Phone
2) Radio
3) Television
4) Acoustic equipment

So please allow more time to read and memorize for Paper 2. 
The failure rate for my class is quite high so this is no walk in the park!

Failed! Paper 2 is very difficult!

What to do if i fail the test?
It is not the end of the world if you failed the test. For my case, i completed my paper 2 in 30 minutes or so. When i saw that i failed my paper 2, I quickly left the test room and went to book a retest for 12 pm. My "classmate" came out late and book for retest but the slots were fully booked so he had to take the retest at 2 pm.

There is a administrative fee of $10 for booking a retest. The test paper is $5. I booked only for paper 2 so i paid $15 before GST. Including GST is $16.05. 

If you failed both papers and book for retest for both. They will only charge you one time administrative fee so it will be $10+$5+$5 before GST. So if you fail paper 1, do not go and book for retest first. 

My Lunch At STA
Uber's staffs was kind enough to come walk around asking people to go and take the buffet that was provided by them have while i was plunging my head in the notes to prepare for Paper 2. I did not see the staffs from Grab doing this so +1 to Uber for being considerate and reaching out to us drivers. Their buffet starts at 11 am so if you happen to be there for the test, remember to go and take your free lunch buffet from Uber!

My Thanks
I want to thank our fellow drivers in our discord channel for all the help and advice given. I was given a mind map from (ic3st0rmer) and that really helped me to memorize the demerit point systems for the questions in Paper 2!

Passed the PDVL Test!

Thoughts?
Update : The mindmap is out of date now because STA have changed the rules at least twice from the time of this blog.

Did i miss out anything? Please let me know in the comments.

IIf you have questions , please feel free join our community on Discord App, PHV Singapore Discord Group at https://discord.gg/gGFEPZX (<---Click Here) , available for Android and IOS devices totally free and only requires an email to register. Drivers-to-be are welcome too! 

Like my blog? Support by using my referral!
I will return 50% of the referral fee to you and help you get started! PM me (JoringerWang) on discord!
Grab Referral Code : ten59161

47 comments:

  1. Have u taken ur pdvl license card? As wondering how long does it take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, please read this new post regarding pdvl license card. http://joringerwang.blogspot.sg/2017/09/collection-of-pdvl-card.html

      Delete
  2. Hi Mr Wang , it's informative after reading your article.
    Can you share more on the paper2, ad I also find it difficult to pass. I mean the penalty I can study myself but there are some questions that I still not sure? Eg: do we need to help those disabled people and also those with big luggage into the car; how the rate of the fare charge?

    Best regards
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi william, in my humble opinion, there is no shortcuts for paper 2. It is really important to try to memorize the notes given from the STA instructor as much as possible, then you need luck to get the questions that you are confident to answer... All the best!

      Delete
  3. HI MR WRONG,
    AFTER YOUR RETEST IZZIT STILL SAME QUESTION

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not the same question. every person have all different questions each time you take the test.

      Delete
  4. Hi, can u start to drive for grab or uber after u pass yr pdvl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about this because i have the ATD so i did not ask about this. You should check with LTA.

      Delete
  5. can u share the mind map from (ic3st0rmer)??
    my email is may_ling87@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mindmap is currently outdated as the creator cannot keep amending it because STA kept changing the rules.

      Delete
  6. Please share the mind map, Thks.
    eeric.chew@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mindmap is currently outdated as the creator cannot keep amending it because STA kept changing the rules.

      Delete
  7. Why should you keep your conversation we with passenger short and simple?
    1.avoid conflict with passenger
    2.able to concentrate on driving
    3.able to recall past conversation and reach destination sooner
    4.able to plan route

    Can anyone advise the correct answer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I'm going for my PDVL soon and they inform me of the dress code. I ask if it applies for men only, he said for both genders. Can you confirm this. Did you see any ladies who were turn away if they're wearing dresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no girls in dresses when i took the test. It is best you check with STA or your instructor before you go and take the test!

      Delete
  9. very informative . ironically i failed the Test 1 by 2% but Pass the much difficult paper 2. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi im too fail in both paper retest on 13 dec alomost been two marks to pass first paper 2nd paper quite difficult in demerits can anyone kindly help

      Delete
  10. Hi there I am writing on behalf of my dad. He is already 54 years old and is not well acquainted with studying. He too failed both paper but found paper 2 exceptionally hard. His main concern was memorizing the penalties and VLDPS. Wondering if anybody that has been through similar fate has any tips or advice to share? Perhaps, advice in the style of studying? Or tips to memorise better?

    Thank you so much in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I memorize by categorizing the demerit points.

      for example, there are 5 type of offense that carries 21 points and they are
      1) ....
      2) ....
      3) ...
      4) ...
      5) ...

      Delete
    2. Hi wang! im gonna to do PDVL test, if you don't mind could you give me study materials....

      Delete
    3. I had taken both tests yesterday and passed at only one try(P1 : 45/50, P2 : 46/50 ) If your father need help, I can coach him for a small fee. There's a method to memorise and understand the concept when choosing the right answers. Can email me at syahmisharil@gmail.com for more details.😊

      Delete
  11. How to pass? My husband had three attempt and still couldn't make it and he is not cut for books... Kindly help... Anyone can guide him, please let me know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby had his 4th attempt just 2 days ago & still failed....

      Delete
    2. I had taken both tests yesterday and passed at only one try(P1 : 45/50, P2 : 46/50 ) If your father need help, I can coach him for a small fee. There's a method to memorise and understand the concept when choosing the right answers. Can email me at syahmisharil@gmail.com for more details.😊

      Delete
    3. I had taken both tests yesterday and passed at only one try(P1 : 45/50, P2 : 46/50 ) If your father need help, I can coach him for a small fee. There's a method to memorise and understand the concept when choosing the right answers. Can email me at syahmisharil@gmail.com for more details.😊

      Delete
    4. I had taken both tests yesterday and passed at only one try(P1 : 45/50, P2 : 46/50 ) If your father need help, I can coach him for a small fee. There's a method to memorise and understand the concept when choosing the right answers. Can email me at syahmisharil@gmail.com for more details.😊

      Delete
    5. Why are you spamming?

      You want to coach for a small fee ?

      Can...show your results here! I will pay you to coach me.

      Delete
  12. STA guaranteed that your hubby will eventually pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi can i check with u that u have indicate at paper
    7) Why does terrorism, racial and religious incident affect you?
    can i noe what the ans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.tptest.sg/ the answer can find from this web site.

      Delete
  14. if i not wrong,income affected

    ReplyDelete
  15. If i passed paper 1 and failed paper 2 do i need to retest both paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you only need to retake paper 2 in this case

      Delete
  16. most people failed paper 2 cos of repeated question and confuse

    like about..

    Decal.. Have about 5 Questions = 10 point

    PDVL.... another 5 Questions = 10 point

    Dermit about 10 question 20 point

    I got 78 to 82pt for paper 2..3 time.... failed man..

    u need 86 pt to pass.. so ...failed 8 question you r done..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I taking the TPVL
    Already passed paper 2 and 3 on first attempt.Actually i think paper 3 route planning quite difficult due to time restraint.You must be fast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simple questions one may not know ?
    1. Taxi stand ?
    2. Change of address must inform LTA in how many days?
    3. Soliciting for passengers and penalties
    4. Accidentally Spoilt decals
    5. Customers quarter what and how you should handle them?
    That’s all evolving around such topics
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sit for PDVL on 6-4-18 and one time pass both paper (45/50 and 48/50). I did not ready study the materials provided but I had try the mock up test on https://www.tptest.sg and remember the correct answer from there and I pass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I'm a reporter looking for people to share their experiences about the PDVL (whether it's a pass or fail). If you're willing to share your thoughts and opinions on the test, please do contact me at ckaiyin@sph.com.sg. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for shearing your experience and information. views in your blog posts i like them. please share more.
    cheap heathrow airport parking

    ReplyDelete
  23. What if i absent on the test day

    ReplyDelete
  24. i just convert my license to sg.im pr, am i able to go for pdvl test?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greetings Joringer, Thanks for sharing your experience on this topic
    PDVL test. Im going to start revising this homework. Almightly God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete